Skip to main content

Types of Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Teaching Assistants

Graduate teaching assistants teach courses, laboratory sections, and recitation sections, or provide other forms of instructional assistance. These assistantships are generally available only through the academic units. The deadline for teaching assistant appointments is no later than the end of the second week of classes in the fall or spring term.

Graduate Research Assistants

Graduate research assistants help faculty members with their research activities. Research assistantships are primarily funded by grants and other third party sources. Because the arrival of these funds at the University may not coincide with the beginning of an academic term, University policy is that the deadline for research assistant appointments is no later than the end of the fifth week of classes in the fall or spring term. Depending on the source of funding, some research assistantships may not be available to non-US residents.

Graduate Service Assistants

Graduate service assistants typically work in one of the administrative or service offices of WVU. Service assistants work in positions that are related to their program of study and that contribute to their educational experience. Graduate service assistants may be appointed at any time, but may only receive a tuition waiver and health insurance for a fall or spring term in which they are appointed by the fifth week of the term.

Regular vs. Partial Graduate Assistants

Regular graduate assistants work an average of 20 hours per week and partial graduate assistants work an average of 10 hours per week as teaching, research, or service assistants. Both regular and partial graduate assistants must be enrolled full-time.