The following guidelines apply to merit waivers:
- Please refer to the information and guidelines for all tuition waivers.
- Merit waivers must be awarded only to students who have been admitted to a degree program and who are in good standing in their program.
- Academic programs may only award waivers to their own students. Exceptions require permission from the Office of Graduate Education and Life.
- Programs should generally not provide merit waivers to full-time students for more than 3 years for master’s degrees and 5 years for doctoral degrees.
- Merit waiver awards can range from 1 to 9 hours (full-time). University tuition is also waived for hours taken above the full-time limit if a full-time award is made.
- Students may register for more hours than their merit waiver award. They will be invoiced for the additional hours unless they have been granted a full-time waiver.
Submitting merit waiver forms
- A waiver form must be submitted for each student by the program that provides the waiver.