Application Due Date Friday, October 22, 2021, by 11:59 p.m.
The Carl del Signore Foundation Graduate Scholarships provides $1,000 scholarships to support graduate students who are engaged in research activities leading to a research-focused master’s degree (i.e. must complete a thesis). Students whose master’s thesis proposal are approved prior to October 15, 2021, are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
Students selected for this scholarship opportunity will receive a one-time lump sum scholarship refund to their WVU student account. Note that scholarships are considered to be part of students’ overall WVU financial aid package and cannot be transferred to another institution. Any balance owed to WVU will be automatically deducted from the award refund. WVU does not withhold taxes from scholarship refunds, but this scholarship may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service based on individual tax circumstances.
The Carl del Signore Foundation Graduate Scholarship is merit-based. Students who wish to apply for this scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in an on-campus, research focused master’s program (i.e. must complete a master’s thesis)
- Master’s thesis proposal must be approved by October 15, 2021
- Enrolled in at least 1 credit hour during the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 terms
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.7
Eligible master’s level students must complete the online application form by Friday, October 22, 2021, no later than 11:59 p.m. The online application requires students to:
- Complete the application in one sitting (it cannot be saved and returned to)
- Upload a current resume or C.V.
- Write and submit a brief synopsis of their master’s thesis research (500 words, maximum) that clearly articulates their research for non-specialist reviewers (e.g. someone outside of their discipline)
- Upload a current unofficial transcript
- Write and submit a brief essay (250 words, maximum) that outlines their long-range professional goals, as well as how their research will contribute to their professional field
- Request their master’s thesis committee chair to write a letter of support as part of the application. The letter of support should confirm that the student’s thesis proposal has been approved by October 15, 2021. An email request for this letter will be sent to the student’s committee chair once the student submits their application. The deadline for the committee chair’s letter of support is Monday, October 25, 2021, no later than 11:59 p.m. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that their chair submits the letter of support by the deadline.
Each application will be reviewed by the WVU Graduate Student University Fellowship and Scholarship Committee. Award selections will be based on the quality of the student’s:
- Application essay
- Committee chair’s letter of support
- Synopsis of thesis research
- Academic record
Note that incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Eligible master’s level students must complete the online application form by Friday, October 22, 2021, no later than 11:59 p.m.
Please contact the Office of Graduate Education and Life at GradEd@mail.wvu.edu or (304) 293-7173 for additional information about this scholarship opportunity.