Skip to main content

Graduate Student Resources

West Virginia University Graduate Student Resources 

Compiled by the Office of Graduate Education and Life 

Monongalia County Resources:

The Bartlett House: Provides permanent housing and other needed resources to individuals who are homeless.

Canyon Presbyterian Church: The food pantry is only open on Mondays. A small box of emergency food may be passed out for children and families, based on donation level.

Catholic Charities: Various services are provided, including a food pantry, a Meals on Wheels program, holiday meals, financial aid, vouchers for medications or food for special dietary needs, child care resources, elderly services, outreach center services, nutritional support such as food assistance, disaster services, migration and refugee services, parish social ministry, and Rachel’s vineyard, which is a post abortion support service.

Christian Help: Christian Help has a free store, providing regular and professional clothes, food, and housewares. They also have an EFA (Emergency Financial Assistance) program and jobs for life, which is a program that helps individuals find jobs around the Morgantown area.

Covenant Evangelical Methodist Church: Provides a food pantry to Monongalia County residents and students. The Food Pantry is open on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 9 am - 11:30 am.

DHHR: Department of Human and Health Services.

  • Early Care and Education: West Virginia's Child Care Program is dedicated to improving the affordability, accessibility and quality of child care services. To improve affordability, the Division of Early Care & Education manages a statewide system of Child Care Resource and Referral agencies, which provide resource information and financial assistance to eligible families.
  • SNAP: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides monthly benefits to help eligible households buy food.
  • WV WORKS: WV WORKS provides monthly cash assistance to eligible families. Most people who receive a monthly WV WORKS check also receive SNAP and Medicaid, but these are not guaranteed.
  • WIC (Women, Infants, and Children): This Program provides quality nutrition and breastfeeding counseling and education; as well as health monitoring and nutritious foods.

Mon County Habitat for Humanity: This organization runs a ReStore that takes donations of reusable furniture, appliances, residential & commercial fixtures and furnishings and building materials. Then, the ReStore re-sells these items at thrift store prices using the proceeds to further their mission and help reduce the community’s impact on the environment.

Monongalia County Starting Points: Provides a food pantry to Monongalia County residents and students. They require proof of income and some form of identification for every member of the household; however, they have no income guidelines.

Pantry hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

The RACK: The RACK is a campus food bank available to all WVU students. It is in the Mountainlair (near the Career Services Center), where it operates on an anonymous basis. However, students are required to complete a one-time In-take form the first time they go to the RACK, which is used only for general data reporting. Along with the RACK location in the Mountainlair, both perishable and non-perishable items are available at the Arnold Hall distribution center (345 Price St., Morgantown, WV 26505) every Tuesday from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm, and every Friday from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm.

The RACK also offers a Mobile Food Pantry once a month, where students can come pick up fresh produce and other items from the Mountaineer Food Bank!

Salvation Army: The Salvation Army in Morgantown provides emergency services such as groceries, diapers and baby supplies, clothing, hygiene items, dog and cat food, rent, and utility assistance. They serve hot meals Monday-Friday from 4 pm – 5 pm to anyone in need. They also provide other services like the Pathway of Hope program, disaster relief, summer camps, alcohol rehab referral, and seasonal programs like Angel Tree which provides new clothes and gifts to children for Christmas.

Scott’s Run Settlement House: They have a food pantry, free store with hygiene products, and baby products.

St. Ursula's Food Pantry & Outreach: This service provides a food pantry to individuals living at or below the poverty line. The Infant and Toddler Program works with pregnant women and families with young children. Through this, they give away cribs, high chairs, car seats, clothes, diapers, wipes, hygiene supplies, bassinets, strollers, tubs, and towels. Some big items must be “earned” by participating in other community programs, school, or working. They also provide referrals to other resources, such as budgeting and parenting classes, job readiness and adult education. They offer blood pressure screenings, blood sugar screenings, dental hygiene referrals. Yearly, they offer flu shot clinics, a Christmas gift program, and Thanksgiving baskets.

Suncrest United Methodist Church: Please contact them at 304-599-6306

United Way: Social Services program in Morgantown, WV. The goals of their organization are to improve the community’s health and wellness, making sure that children and adolescents have the proper resources and support to have successful lives and careers as adults, and increase the amount of financially stable households in Morgantown and the rest of the state. They hold outerwear and food drives, and have a Dolly Parton Imagination Library, where individuals can get free books for their children.

West Virginia University Resources:

Child Care Assistance Program: West Virginia University is pleased to offer a program to help offset the costs associated with quality child care for students who are parents. The Student Child Care Assistance Program (SCCAP) provides low-income program eligible WVU students with financial assistance for a portion of their child care expenses. SCCAP uses a sliding scale providing financial assistance to several students with limited funds. Please visit the website for more details.

International Students and Services/Global Affairs: International Student and Scholar Services has resources available to international students at West Virginia University. Please visit their website for more details or call 304-293-6112

WVU Financial Aid and Support Service: 304-293-1988

WVU Medicine-Financial assistance

Non-funding WVU resources:

Carruth Center: The Carruth Center provides Psychological/Psychiatric services, such as individuals and group counseling, to all WVU students and faculty. The center also has a Student Assistance Program where they provide specific services to students with drug or alcohol concerns. Please visit the Carruth Center website to learn more about services they provide or call at 304-293-4431. Click here for information specifically about international students.

Crisis Text Line: Text WVU to 741741. A trained Crisis Counselor will respond (83% in under 5 minutes). Crisis Counselor will help bring texter from hot to cool moment and plan for future health and safety. Please visit the Carruth Center website to learn more about services they provide or call at 304-293-4431.

Mental Health Resources for Graduate Students: GradResources and the national Association of Graduate-Professional Students would like to remind you that the national Grad Crisis-Line 877-GRAD-HLP (472-3457) is available as a supplement to existing mental health services on campus, particularly while the university is closed and those critical services are unavailable.

MindFit: A comprehensive, multidisciplinary program that facilitates academic & cognitive improvements for WVU students. They offer cutting edge tools for students to strengthen their academic skills, content knowledge, memory, attention span, and cognitive function.

Student Legal Services: The main purpose of Student Legal Services is to educate the students about their legal rights, responsibilities, and obligations. They also provide help with legal issues such as leases, contracts, landlord/tenant issues, notary services, family matters and domestic issues, general civil matters, etc. Please visit their website to learn more information about their services or call the office at 304-293-4897.

Title IX: This office devotes its time to protecting the rights and dignity of WVU students and faculty members. Title IX creates equity for faculty, staff, and students. It covers sexual violence, sex or gender- based discrimination, including stalking, relationship violence, bullying, and sexual misconduct. Please visit their website to learn more about their services or call 304-293-5600.

Veterans Support: The 2,500 square-foot facility serves as a welcoming space and support center for student veterans, armed forces personnel and dependents of current and former military service members. It helps veterans sort through their benefits and make the adjustment to civilian life. 304-293-8824

WELLWVU: WELLWVU offers wellness education to WVU students in the following areas: drug and alcohol, fitness, sexual health, sexual assault, stress, relationships, stress, and sleep. To learn more about this department, please visit their website or call at 304-293-5054.

WVU Collegiate Recovery Program: The WVU Collegiate Recovery Program provides support for both students-in-recovery & allies-of-recovery from substance use disorders, including eating disorders, and other behavioral health conditions.

*If you are in dire need of assistance, please call 211 for an immediate list of resources that can help you. By simply dialing 211, those in need of assistance can be referred, and sometimes connected, to appropriate agencies and community organizations.


*Please note that graduate students are sometimes eligible for government-funded programs, so please check out their website to see if you can use their resources!