The fellowship nomination deadline for Swiger, Du Bois, and University Provost Fellowships is Wednesday, February 8, 2017, no later than 4:45 p.m.
FELLOWSHIP ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
All incoming doctoral students who meet the minimum eligibility criteria (details below) and whose department/program completes a nomination form may be considered for fellowship funding. This year’s fellowship selection committee will review all nominations and assign nominees to a fellowship category; nominees with the highest scores will be awarded the top category of funding, and downward, until all fellowships are awarded. (The Office of Graduate Education and Life will determine the cut-off score for each funding category, which will be based on the quality of the aggregate pool of nominees.)
The fellowship categories are a) Category 1 (Swiger Fellowship), b) Category 2 (Du Bois Fellowship), and c) Category 3 (University Provost Fellowship).
Students’ online graduate application materials will be used to evaluate fellowship nominations; therefore, departments/programs are encouraged to nominate only their most qualified applicants for all fellowships. The fellowship selection committee will evaluate nominees on the following criteria:
- GPA (minimum GPA for all nominees must be 3.2 for undergraduate or 3.5 for graduate course work).
- Strength of graduate admissions application essay (if required for admission to department/program) and standardized test scores (if required for admission to department/program).
- Strength of graduate application letters of recommendation.
- Strength of CV or resume.
- Strength of letter of support from the WVU program or faculty member making the nomination.
NOMINATION INFORMATIONThe department/program chair, graduate program director, or designee must submit all fellowship nominations. Each department/program may submit up to 10 nominations for the 2017 Graduate Fellowships competition. The department/program chair, graduate program director, or designee is charged with establishing procedures and deadlines for the consideration of nominations at the department/program level (as they deem necessary). Faculty members are encouraged to contact their department/program chair or graduate program director to learn the process for nominating students.
FELLOWSHIP SELECTION COMMITTEEGraduate fellowship recipients are selected by faculty members who serve on the WVU Graduate Council and/or invited tenure-track graduate faculty members.
NOMINATION PROCEDURESNominations for Swiger, Du Bois, and University Provost Fellowships must be submitted via the online Fellowship Nomination Form. The following information is needed to complete an online fellowship nomination form:
- The nominee’s full name.
- A brief letter/statement of support (maximum 500 words) from either the department/program representative or a faculty member in the department/program that outlines how the nominee will potentially contribute to the program’s mission.
- The department/program chair, graduate program director, or designee must complete the online nomination no later than 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday, February 8, 2017.
Please contact the Office of Graduate Education and Life at GradEd@mail.wvu.edu or 304.293.7173 for assistance.