- WVU is ranked as a Research University (Highest Research Activity)—R1—in the 2015 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
- A number of programs were ranked in U.S. News and World Report’s 2017 edition of
America’s Best Graduate Schools, including:
- Engineering programs: Aeronautics/aeronautical/astronautical, 42 (tie), Chemical engineering, 88 (tie), Civil engineering, 81 (tie), Electrical/electronic/communications engineering, 123 (tie), Engineering, 105 (tie), Industrial/manufacturing/systems engineering, 66 (tie), Mechanical engineering, 109 (tie)
- Health-related programs: Audiology, 53 (tie), Clinical psychology, 57 (tie), Medicine (primary care), 70, Medicine (research), 86, Occupational therapy, 126 (tie), Pharmacy, 36(t), Physical therapy, 79 (tie), Speech-language pathology, 92 (tie)
- Education, 99 (tie), Fine arts, 98 (tie), Law, 97 (tie), Public affairs, 115 (tie), Social work, 103 (tie)
- Previous years’ evaluations included in the 2017 guidebook are: Biological sciences, 175 (tie), Chemistry, 117, Clinical psychology, 42, Computer science, 112 (tie), Earth sciences, 110 (tie), English, 106 (tie), History, 118 (tie), Math, 134 (tie), Physics, 111 (tie), Psychology, 78 (tie), Rehabilitation counseling, 37 (tie)
- U.S. News & World Report online graduate program rankings: Online executive MBA, 36 (tie), Online master’s in education, 89 (tie), Online master’s in nursing, 54 (tie), Online master's in software engineering, 30 (tie)
- In its inaugural rankings of Best Online Programs for Veterans, U.S. News & World Report ranked three WVU graduate programs in the top five: nursing, No. 3; business, No. 5; and education, No. 5.
- The National Law Journal named the WVU College of Law a “Go-To” law school. WVU ranked No. 33 among 50 institutions in its first appearance on NLJ’s list that identifies schools with the highest percentage of juris doctor graduates hired by the 250 largest law firms.
- WVU is one of only about a dozen schools in the country that are land-grant, doctoral research universities with a comprehensive medical school.
- WVU is only one of two programs nationally that offers the Ph.D. in forensic science.
- The WVU School of Medicine was the first in the country to rotate students through a clinical addiction program, which is now a requirement for all American medical students.
- WVU faculty generate over $127 million annually in sponsored contracts and research grants.
- The College of Law provides about 40,000 hours of free legal services and student pro bono projects annually.